Chicago University Register of the
Officers and Alumni, 1892-1902
This is the first General Register to be published by the University. It is
intended to give a concise history of the personnel of the University for the
first ten years, closing with July 1, 1902.
In addition to the data obtained directly from the persons named in the
volume, much information was found in the reports of the Secretary of the
Board of Trustees; the Auditor's accounts; the records in the Recorder's
office; the Annual Registers; the University Record; the student publications,
and the University Scrap Book in the General Library.
The officers of instruction and administration have been arranged as far as
possible according to the plan adopted in the Annual Register. Members of the
faculties have been arranged on the basis of rank and seniority. Those who
have offered courses during the Summer Quarters only are placed after the
names of the permanent officers. The data concerning each officer is limited
to his career as a member of the faculties of the University of Chicago.
In the list of collegiate alumni appear the names of the graduates of the old
University of Chicago from 1861 to 1886. By formal act of the Board of
Trustees on February 2, 1891, the degrees of A.B. and S.B. conferred by the
old University were confirmed and re-enacted by the new University, thus
making these graduates alumni of the present institution. On July 13, 1891,
the Baptist Union Theological Semi-nary became the Divinity School of the
University, and the graduates of the Seminary became alumni of the new
With the name of each honorary alumnus has been published the statement used
at the time the degree was conferred.
The present volume contains all graduates up to July 1, 1902. All students
graduating after July 1 of one year and before July 1 of the next year are
enrolled as graduates of the latter year.
The names of all persons who received appointments as officers of
administration and instruction or as fellows before July 1, 1902, are included
under their respective departments.
To the name of each person known to be deceased, an asterisk (*) has been
Read the Book - Free
Download the Book ( 14 MB PDF ) - Free
Historical Outline of Chicago University: 1889-1902
May 15: John D. Rockefeller offered $600,000 to establish a college
in Chicago on condition that $400,000 be pledged by June 1, 1890.
June 5: A college committee of thirty-six was appointed to cooperate
with the American Baptist Education Society in its efforts to raise the
May 25: Mr. Rockefeller was notified that sums amounting to $102,083
had been pledged.
May 20: Marshall Field donated a site for the college.
June 18: The University Corporation was formed.
July 11: The first meeting of the Board of Trustees was held.
September 10: The University was legally incorporated.
September 10: Mr. Rockefeller subscribed $1,000,000 to the University.
Professor William Rainey Harper, Ph.D., of Yale University, was chosen
January 1: First Bulletin regarding the work of the University was
February 2: The degrees of A.B. and S.B., conferred by the old
University of Chicago, were confirmed and reenacted by the new
February 10: Dr. Harper accepted the Presidency of the University.
June 9: Henry Ives Cobb was appointed architect for the construction of
June 23: The first annual meeting of the Board of Trustees was held.
June 30: A gift was proffered by the trustees of the Ogden estate for
the establishment of the Ogden School of Science.
July 1: President Harper entered upon his duties as President of the
July 9: Frank Frost Abbott was appointed University Examiner and
Associate Professor of Latin: the first appointment of a professor.
July 13: The Baptist Theological Union was united with the University.
November 26: Erection of the first building, Cobb Lecture Hall, was
February 23: Mr. Rockefeller added an additional $1,000,000 to the
March 19: Sidney A. Kent offered to erect a building to be devoted to
April 8: Marshall Field subscribed $100,000 on condition that $1,000,000
be secured by July 10, 1892.
June 7: Mrs. Elizabeth G. Kelly gave $50,000 for the erection of Kelly
June 9: Silas B. Cobb gave $150,000 for the erection of a recitation
June 21: Mrs. Nancy S. Foster gave $60,000 for the erection of a women's
July 2: Mrs. Mary Beecher gave $50,000 for the erection of a women's
July 5: Mrs. Henrietta Snell gave $50,000 for the erection of a men's
July 9: Martin A. Ryerson gave $50,000 which assured the $100,000 gift
of Mr. Field.
October 1: The University opened its doors. The work of instruction
began. First chapel services were held at 12: 30 o'clock in the chapel
of Cobb Lecture Hall.
October 25: Charles T. Yerkes offered to erect an Astronomical
November 5: First conference of preparatory schools was held.
November 7: Martin A. Ryerson agreed to erect a Physical Laboratory.
November 12: The first number of the Journal of Political Economy was
November 20: The University Union was organized.
December 23: Mr. Rockefeller gave $1,000,000 for endowment.
January 1: First Quarterly Convocation was held in Central Music
January 24: Martin A. Ryerson offered to give $100,000 on condition that
$400,000 be raised by August 1, 1893.
March 31: The Board of Trustees decided upon Lake Geneva as the site for
April 3: Snell Hall was opened.
June 29: Mr. Rockefeller gave $150,000 for current expenses.
October 2: Walker Museum was formally opened.
October 3: The formal opening of Kelly and Beecher Halls occurred.
October 31: Mr. Rockefeller gave an additional $500,000.
January 1: Kent Chemical Laboratory and Ryerson Physical Laboratory
were opened for work.
June 12: Mrs. Caroline 'E. Haskell gave $100,000 for the erection of
Haskell Oriental Museum.
July 2: Kent Chemical Laboratory was dedicated.
July 3: The formal presentation and opening of Ryerson Physical
October 12: Mrs. Haskell gave $40,000 for the endowment of the Haskell
and Barrows lectureships on Comparative Religion.
March 11: The Graduate Club was organized.
July 1: Mr. Rockefeller gave $175,000 for current expenses.
October 30: Mr. Rockefeller gave $1,000,000 for endowment.
October 30: Mr. Rockefeller agreed to duplicate gifts to the amount of
December l4: Miss Helen Culver gave $1,000,000 for buildings and
equipment for the Biological Sciences.
June 27: Miss Helen Culver gave an additional $25,000 for the
July 1: Quinquennial Celebration. Mr. Rockefeller visited the
July 3: Haskell Oriental Museum was formally opened. The corner stones
of the Biological group of buildings were laid.
July 4: First Regiment of Illinois presented the national colors to the
December 15: Dr. Barrows began lecture work in India.
January 2: First meeting of the University Congregation was held in
the Assembly Room of the Haskell Oriental Museum.
February 20: Gift from the Reynold's estate was received.
April 1: Prizes in debate and declamation were established.
July 1: Hull Biological Laboratories were dedicated.
October 21: Yerkes Observatory was dedicated.
January 30: Miss Helen Culver gave $143,100 for the Biological
July 1: Rush Medical College was affiliated.
July 1: Mr. Rockefeller gave $200,000 for current expenses.
August 1: Mrs. Emmons Blaine offered $5,000 a year for five years for
the College for Teachers.
September 30: The College for Teachers was formally opened.
October 17: President McKinley visited the University. The Degree of
Doctor of Laws was conferred upon him.
January 1: Green Hall was completed and opened.
April 1: Mrs. Emmons Blaine agreed to give $1,200 a year for five years
for the College for Teachers.
April 10: The Honorable Theodore Roosevelt visited the University.
November 29: Leon Mandel made a subscription for the erection of an
January 1: Mrs. Charles Hitchcock gave $200,000 for the erection of a
memorial building to be known as Charles Hitchcock Hall.
January 24: Dr. Von Holleben, Imperial German Ambassador, was
entertained at the University.
September 3: A. C. Bartlett proposed to erect a gymnasium.
December 5: Mr. Rockefeller gave $1,500,000 for endowment and general
January 2: Funeral services in honor of Dr. George W. Northrup were
held in Haskell Congregation Hall.
March 19: Announcement of the union of the Chicago Institute and the
University of Chicago was made.
June 14: The Decennial Celebration began.
June 15: Corner Stone Ceremonies of the University Press Building and
Charles Hitchcock Hall were held. Nancy Foster Hall addition was
June 17: The Educational Conference was held.
June 18: The Corner Stone Ceremonies at the University Commons, the
University Tower, the Students' Club House, and Leon Mandel Assembly
Hall were held.
July 19: The School of Education was formally opened.
November 27: Corner Stone Ceremonies of the Frank Dickinson Bartlett
Gymnasium were held.
October 1: Medical courses were provided.
December 1: Mr. Rockefeller gave $1,250,000 for endowment and general
November 4: The Women's Union was organized.
March 1: The death of Francis W. Parker, Director of the School of