History of Herkimer County
Why two peoples, distinct in their origin, dissimilar in tastes, habits and
customs, should harmonize on a great political problem for a period of more
than fifty years, and in numbers to carry almost every popular election,
presented a question worthy of inquiry and solution. Animated with a strong
desire to arrive at a just and proper conclusion in respect to this question,
Nathaniel Benton gave, in the sequel of this book, a full statement of the
facts which are believed to have drawn the German and English or New England
populations into harmony. Where the English, to seek an asylum from civil and
ecclesiastical oppression, and to fix themselves as the planters of a new
colony, on a lone and desolate shore, surrounded by an unbroken wilderness and
the same illegitimate emanations from the religion of the cross compelled the
German Palatines to plant themselves in an exposed and wilderness frontier, as
an out-post and vanguard, to protect and cover the older settlements in their
rear from Indian assaults and depredations; while the not much less refined
warfare carried on by a neighboring European colony, whose relentless
cruelties, unmitigated barbarities and bigoted intolerance, they and their
fathers had so often before seen, suffered and tasted.
Table of Contents:
Source: Benton, Nathaniel Soley. A History of Herkimer County. Published 1856, J. Munsell.
Read the Book - Free
Download the Book ( 13.3 MB PDF )- Free
Old England District
The "old England" district, embracing a small portion of the territory in the south part of Herkimer county, and a portion of Otsego and Madison counties, on the Unadilla river, erected by the colonial government, was organized as a part of Montgomery county in 1784, and officers appointed by the court of general sessions. Rudolph Shoemaker and Frederick Bellinger were appointed justices of the peace in Tryon county, May 26th, 1772; and George Henry Bell and Andrew Finck, Jr., were appointed to the same office in Montgomery county, July 8, 1784. These persons then lived within the present limits of Herkimer county.